This chain of Newmarket medics ran for almost a century, from the early 19th to early 20th centuries. It started with Frederick Page, who’s first mentioned in practice at Newmarket in 1839, having moved from Beccles (in east Suffolk). However, he married someone from Woodditton near Newmarket in 1833, and appears to have had some earlier medical links with Newmarket that are not entirely clear (see the page on Frederick Page for further details).
Whatever his earlier dealings with Newmarket, this practice chain began with Frederick Page in about 1839. He was in practice at Beccles in 1837, but Newmarket by 1839. This was an interesting time of change for Newmarket medical services. The precipitous end to the old and recently dominant practice of Walter Norton (the Edwards–Norton–Taylor–Kendall–Thomas–Bullen chain) had coincided with the start of three new practices: this one, the Fysons’, and Richard Faircloth’s (which later diverged, eventually leading to both Oakfield and Orchard House surgeries). The 1839 trade directories record a snapshot in time when these practices existed alongside each other (see the page on Frederick Page for an image of one). The only practice with continuity during this period of change was that of Robert James Peck, which had roots going back to the 18th century and continues as the Rookery Medical Centre today.
More details regarding Frederick Page’s practice over the next couple of decades can be seen on the page dedicated to him, but in 1856/7 he took on the younger George Borwick Mead as a partner, who was relatively newly qualified and had been working in Chatteris before coming to Newmarket. They worked together for a couple of years as Page and Mead, but their partnership was dissolved in 1858 when Frederick Page moved on, developing his career in a more surgical direction in Portsmouth (again see the page on Frederick Page for details).
George Mead continued the practice in Newmarket, which he ran from Mentmore House in the High Street. His son, George Owen Mead (known as Owen), joined him in partnership during the early 1880s. From about 1890 it seems George the father spent increasing amounts of time in London, where he was involved with various medical defence roles (see the page on George Borwick Mead for full details). Owen continued to run the Newmarket practice from Mentmore House, but shortly after his father’s re-marriage in London (although he and his new wife later moved to Cambridge) the partnership was dissolved in 1896 and Owen Mead continued it alone.
Sadly Owen died suddenly and unexpectedly of a brain abscess in 1900, his father dying in Cambridge the following year. However, a newspaper report from the time suggests that a successor was being sought, stating that a medic called Etches ‘had come to Newmarket with a view of taking the practice’. In the event Robert Etches ended up elsewhere, but it appears Ernest Crompton took on the practice instead. He came from Canada to Mentmore House, where he can be seen on the 1901 census in practice. Also, the fact that the 1901 Medical Register records him in Newmarket suggests that he arrived in 1900, since it would presumably have been compiled then to be published for 1901.
Although Ernest Crompton took on the practice he did not purchase Mentmore House, but rented it, presumably from the remaining non-medical Meads. The house was put up for sale in 1902 and by 1904 Dr Crompton had moved the practice to Kingston House, where it remained until 1909 at least. Then some time before 1911 he moved the practice again, this time to Rutland House on the High Street (see the page on Ernest Crompton for more details), where it remained until he retired due to ill health in 1922. There is no evidence that anyone succeeded to this practice at that point, the patients presumably being absorbed into the other three Newmarket practices that remain to this day, at that time in the form of The Grays (proto-Rookery), John Hansby Maund (Proto-Orchard House) and Sidney Winslow Woollett (proto-Oakfield). Dr Crompton retired to Devon where he died in 1925 (again, see the page on Ernest Crompton for more details).
1837, 13th February: Under deaths, ‘aged 1 year and 9 months, Albert, eldest son of F. Page, Esq., surgeon, of Beccles’. Reference: The Bury and Norwich Post. Wednesday Feb 22 1837: 2.
1839, 14th June: Ellen daughter of surgeon Frederick and Ann Matilda Page of St Mary’s parish Newmarket baptised. Reference: J552/10, microfilm of Newmarket St Mary’s parish register, (Suffolk County Record Office, Bury St Edmunds).
1839: ‘Page Frederick, High st’ listed under ‘Surgeons & Apothecaries’ in ‘Newmarket and Neighbourhood’ Cambridgeshire. Reference: Pigot and Co.’s royal national and commercial directory and topography of the counties of Bedford, Cambridge, Essex, Herts, Huntingdon, Kent, Middlesex, Norfolk, Suffolk, Surrey and Sussex… . London & Manchester: J. Pigot & Co.; 1839, pg 65. [Note: Bullen Mark Edmund [sic], High st, Faircloth Richard, High St, Fyson Robert, High St, and Peck Robert James, High St are listed separately.]
1839: ‘Page Frederick’ listed under ‘surgeons’ in Newmarket, Cambridgeshire. Reference: Robson’s royal court guide and peerage, with the commercial directory of London and the six counties forming the Norfolk circuit, viz. Beds, Bucks, Cambridgeshire, Hunts, Norfolk, and Suffolk:… . London: William Robson & Co.; 1839, pg 48. [Note: Bullen Mark, Faircloth Richard, Fyson Robert and Peck Robert James are listed separately.], [Note also, see the page on Frederick Page for an image.]
1856: ‘MEAD, GEORGE BORWICK, Chatteris, Isle of Ely, Cambridgesh.- M.R.C.S.Eng.; Lic. Midw. and L.S.A. 1854.’ Reference: The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1856. [Note: this reference is included to show that George Mead was not in Newmarket until he became a partner of Frederick Page in 1857.]
1857: ‘MEAD, GEORGE BORWICK, New-market, Cambs. (Page and Mead) – M.R.C.S.Eng.; L.M., and L.S.A. 1854; Surg. Rutland Club; late Asst.-Surg. Spalding Infirm. Author “Chloric Æther, its properties, Chemical Com-position, and Uses,” 1854.’ Reference: The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1857. [Note: see the page on George Borwick Mead for an image.]
1857: ‘PAGE, FREDERICK, Newmarket, Cambs. (Page and Mead) – M.R.C.S. 1837; F.R.C.S. 1856; L.S.A. 1834.’ Reference: The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1857. [Note: see the page on Frederick Page for an image.], [Note also, this is the first time that his FRCS is mentioned, stating 1856, but thereafter it is dated 1855, although it is not mentioned in the 1856 Directory.]
1858: ‘PAGE, FREDERICK, Newmarket, Cambs. (Page and Mead) – F.R.C.S. Eng. 1855; M.R.C.S. 1837; L.S.A. 1834. Surg. Rutland Club. Contrib. to Lancet and Med. Times.’ Reference: The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1858.
1858, January: ‘CHEVELEY.- Medical Appointment.- Messrs. Page and Mead, of Newmarket, have been appointed sur-geons upon the Duke of Rutland’s Cheveley estate, in the room of Mr. Peck, whose removal has also caused a vacancy in one of the Union districts, to which Messrs. Page and Mead are likely to be appointed’. Reference: Cambridge Chronicle and University Journal. Saturday Jan 23 1858: 5. [Note: the word ‘removal’ here does not imply sacking; it was used to mean ‘moving’ as we would ‘move house’, and presumably is why we still use ‘removal vans’ to do so. cf. Woodward Mudd’s 1813 public notice. Mr. Peck was about to move to Australia! – see the page on Floyd Minter Peck for more details.]
1858, 5th February: Mr. George B. Mead elected as medical officer to district 3, having received 18 votes compared with 10 for Dr. William H. Day. Reference: 611/21, Newmarket Union Minutes, (Suffolk County Record Office, Bury St Edmunds).
1858, 9th February: ‘THE UNION – MEDICAL OFFICER.- At a meeting of the Board of Guardians, on Friday last, there were two candidates for the appointment of Surgeon for No. 3 District, comprising Ashley, Cheveley, Kennet, Moulton, and Woodditton, namely, Mr. Day, successor to the practice of Mr. Peck, the late officer, and Mr. Mead, of the firm of Page and Mead, Newmarket, when Mr. Mead was successful, having gained the appointment by a majority of ten.’ Reference: The Bury and Norwich Post. Tuesday Feb 9 1858: 3. [Note: according to the minutes above the majority was 8 – don’t believe everything you read in the papers (or minutes?)!]
1858, 1st May: ‘NOTICE is hereby Given, that the PARTNER-SHIP heretofore subsisting between us, the undersigned FREDERICK PAGE and GEORGE BORWICK MEAD, in the profession, practice, and business of a Surgeon, Apothecary, and Accoucheur, at Newmarket, in the counties of Suffolk and Cambridge, and elsewhere under the style or firm of “Page and Mead,” was DISSOLVED, by mutual, [sic] consent, on the first day of May instant. / Witness our hands this 29th day of May, in the year 1858. / FREDERICK PAGE. / GEORGE B. MEAD.’ Reference: The Cambridge Independent Press. Saturday Jun 5 1858: 2. [Note: a similar notice appeared a few days earlier in the Bury and Norwich Post. Reference: The Bury and Norwich Post. Tuesday Jun 1 1858: 3.], [Note also, an ‘accoucheur’ is another name for a male medic who assists with childbirth, sometimes also referred to historically as a ‘man midwife’ – see the page on William Sandiver 2 for an example of this, and see also The history of medical treatments, training, qualifications and regulation.]
1859: ‘PAGE, FREDERICK, Cambridge – M.D. St. And. 1858; F.R.C.S. Eng. 1855; M.R.C.S. 1837; L.S.A. 1834. Surg. Rutland Club; Mem. Brit. Med. Assoc. Contrib. to Lancet and Med. Times.’ Reference: The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1859. [Note: George Mead was also still recorded as a surgeon to the Rutland Club.]
1861, 7/8th April: George B Mead, aged 29, with qualifications listed, born in Ramsey, Hunts, together with his wife Elizabeth, son George O Mead aged 4, daughter Georgina J Mead aged 3 months (both born in Newmarket) and three servants, living at Mentmore House, High St, Newmarket St Mary’s parish. Reference: The National Archives, 1861 census.
1880: ‘MEAD, GEO. B. OWEN, Mentmore House, New-market, Suffolk – L.R.C.P. Edin. and L.M. 1879; M.R.C.S. Eng. 1879; (St. Barthol.); Brackenbury Schol. 1877; Surg. Nat. Aid. Soc. Russo-Turkish War 1877-78.’ Reference: The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1890. [Note: this is his first entry in the Medical Directory.], [Note also, see the page on George Owen Mead for more details, including regarding the ‘B’ in Owen’s name.]
1881, 3rd/4th April: George B Mead, aged 49, ‘Physician + Surgeon’, together with his wife Elizabeth O Mead aged 48, son George B. O. Mead aged 24 ‘Physician &c’, daughters Georgina and Jane aged 19 and 16 respectively, and three servants, living at Mentmore House, High St, Newmarket St Mary’s parish. Reference: The National Archives, 1881 census. [Note: see the page on George Owen Mead for an image.], [Note also, I haven’t been able to find George Percy Mead on the 1881 census.], [Note also, see the page on George Owen Mead regarding the ‘B’ in Owen’s name.]
1890: ‘MEAD, GEO. BORWICK, Mentmore House, Newmarket, Suffolk, and 13, Royal-avenue, Sloane-sq. Lond. S.W. – Ph.D. and M.A. Gessen (res. and exam.), 1859; L.R.C.P. Lond. 1861; M.R.C.S. Eng. and L.M. 1854; L.S.A. 1854; (St.Bartol.); Prizes and Hon. Certifs. in Anat., Chem., Bot., Phys., Pract. Chem., Mat. Med., and Midw.; Organising Sec. Med. Defence Union; Surg. Rous Memorial Hosp.; late Asst. Surg. Spalding Infirm. Author of “Chloric Æther: its properties, Chem-ical Composition, and Uses,” 1854; “History of Newmarket during the Reign of James I.,” 1864; “The History, Prevention, and Treatment of the Rinderpest, or Russian Cattle Plague, &c.,” 1865; Hygienic Medicine; or, Observations on the use of Baths and Bathing, &c.,” 1866; Contrib. “Cases Illustrative of the use of Baths in the treatment of Disease,” Brit. Med. Journ. 1866; “Physical Hygiene,” Ibid. 1867; “Case of Fragilitas Ossium,” Ibid. 1868.’ Reference: The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1890. [Note: he starts listing a London address in 1890, in addition to his Newmarket address. In 1891 it’s 5 Winchester Rd, S. Hampstead. Lond. N.W., in 1892 it’s back to the Sloane Square address as here, until 1895 when it becomes 32 Bedford Place W.C., then 1 Oakley Street S.W. in 1896. In 1897 the address is the same, but strangely his middle name is changed to Borthwick (which spelling remains until his last posthumous entry in 1902 – see below). In 1898 he appears to drop both his London and Newmarket address, recording ‘Mentmore, Chester-ton, Cambridge’, which changes to Mentmore, 44 Glisson Rd., Cambridge in 1899, then the number changes to 48 in 1901 (with the house still called Mentmore).], [Note also, from 1893 he lists ‘Hon. Sec. Lond. and Cos. Med. Protec. Soc.’ instead of the MDU role, then from 1896 ‘Chairman Med. Defence Insur. Syndicate’.], [Note also, see changes of address in The Medical Register on the page regarding George Bor(th)wick Mead, which largely mirror these changes.]
1891, 5th/6th April: George Owen Mead aged 34, Georgina Mead aged 20 and Georgette J Mead aged 16 (oddly, if this is Georgina and Jane, their ages seem 10 years out – but see the page on The Meads), and three servants, shown in Mentmore House, High St, Newmarket St Mary’s parish, and described as ‘Son, Daughter and Daughter’, with no head of household recorded, implying that George Borwick Mead was still regarded as the head of this four ‘Georges’ household. Reference: The National Archives, 1891 census. [Note: see the page on George Owen Mead for an image.], [Note also, George Mead senior is listed living in Royal Avenue, Chelsea, London, as George B Mead aged 59, ‘General Medical Practitioner’, widower, born in Ramsay [sic] Hunts.], [Note also, George P Mead, aged 25, from Newmarket, Suffolk, was living in Coleshill, Buckinghamshire, ‘Living on own means’.], [Note also, neither George B or George O Mead are listed on the 1901 census, which was taken on 31st March / 1st April, after their deaths. Ernest Crompton, their apparent successor, was in Mentmore House as ‘Physician + Surgeon’ on the 1901 census – see below.]
1896: ‘Mead George Borthwick M.A., L.R.C.P.Lond. surgeon, Mentmore house, High street’ and ‘Mead George Owen L.R.C.P. Edin. surgeon & medical officer of health to the urban district council & coroner for Newmarket division of West Suffolk, Mentmore house, High street’ in the commercial section of Kelly’s Directory for Newmarket, Cambridgeshire. Reference: Kelly’s Directory of Cambridgeshire… . London: Kelly & Co., Limited; 1896, pgs 137-145 (Newmarket section). [Note: Ernest Last Fyson, Clement Frederick Gray, James Percy Grieves, Walter Hutchinson and John Hansby Maund are listed separately.]
1896, 3rd June: Marriage licence between George Borthwick Mead, widower, of St Mary’s parish, Newmarket and Frances Mildred Johnson, spinster aged 19, of St Mary Abbots parish, Kensington, with the consent of her father Frederick Appleyard Johnson. Reference: Online image of the Surrey Marriage Bonds and Allegations records held at the London Metropolitan Archives, ancestry.co.uk (accessed 24th November 2017). [Note: the 1891 and 1881 censuses reveal that his young wife was a gentleman farmer’s daughter from Wicken near Soham (near Newmarket) originally. Reference: The National Archives, 1881 and 1891 censuses. – see the page on George Bor(th)wick Mead also.]
1896, 25th September 1896: ‘NOTICE is hereby given that the Partnership which has for some time past been carried on by George Borwick Mead and George Owen Mead under the firm of Mead and Son at Newmarket in the County of Suffolk in the business of Surgeons and Apothecaries was this day dissolved by mutual consent.– As witness our hands this 25th day of September 1896. / GEORGE BORWICK MEAD. / GEO. OWEN MEAD.’ Reference: The London Gazette. Oct 16 1896; Issue 26786: 5690.
1900: ‘MEAD, GEO. B. OWEN, Mentmore, Newmarket, Suffolk – L.R.C.P. Edin. 1879; M.R.C.S. Eng. 1879; (St Bart.); Brackenbury Schol. 1877; Mem. Camb. Med. Soc.; Surg. Rous Memor. Hosp.; Med. Off. Health Newmarket U. Dist.; Coroner for Co. Suffolk; Surg. Brit. Nat. Aid Soc. Russo-Turkish War 1877-8 (Ord. Medjidieh, 3rd class); late Surg. Cape R.M. Serv., and Asst. House Surg. W. Sussex Hosp.’ Reference: The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1890. [Note: this was his last entry in the Medical Directory.], [Note also, his previous role in the West Sussex Hospital is included from 1881 onwards, but his BMJ obituary (see the page on George Owen Mead) cites the West Suffolk Hospital.]
1900, 13th March: A newspaper reported that George Owen Mead had died from an ‘abscess on the brain, at his residence, Mentmore House, Newmarket, early on Monday morning, after a very brief illness. Prof. Victor Horsley, of London, and Dr. Wherry, of Cam-bridge, visited him on Sunday morning, with a view of performing an operation, but found that it was too late to operate. The deceased gentle-man received every attention from his brother practitioners in Newmarket.’ Reference: East Anglian Daily Times. Tuesday Mar 13 1900: 7. [Note: this was the first such report – the day after he died. There were many more to follow, filling in further details – see the page on George Owen Mead for a selection.]
1900, 7th April: Under the headings ‘Newmarket Urban District Council.’ … / ‘NEW MEDICAL OFFICER OF HEALTH.’ … ‘The applicants were Mr. W. R. Etches, Mr. W. Hutchinson, and Mr. J. H. Maund. / The chairman read a letter from Mr. Etches, who stated that he had come to Newmarket with a view of taking the practice of the late Medical Officer of Health (the late Mr. G. Owen Mead), and settling here permanently…’ Reference: The Newmarket Journal. Saturday Apr 7 1900: 8. [Note: in the event Walter Hutchison was elected. However, this shows that there was to be a formal successor to the Mead’s practice, which was presumably for sale. In the 1901 Medical Directory William Robert Etches can be found in Surrey, having been in Macclesfield earlier. Ernest Crompton, in Mentmore House on the 1901 census (see below), obviously succeeded to the Mead’s practice instead.]
1901, 15th March: Memorial ‘IN MEMORY OF / GEORGE BORTHWICK MEAD. M.D. / DIED MARCH 15TH 1901, / AGED 68 YEARS. / A TOKEN OF AFFECTION FROM HIS LOVING WIFE.’ Reference: Memorial in Mill Road Cemetery, Cambridge. [Note: see the page on George Bor(th)wick Mead for an image.], [Note also, I found this memorial on Wednesday 22nd November 2017. The metal wording and punctuation was starting to crumble and fall off, but was clearly visible on that day as transcribed here. I have images for anyone interested, which might be deposited in the Cambridgeshire and Suffolk County record offices in due course, along with this whole work.], [Note also, the same day I looked at 44 and 48 Glisson Road (see 1890 Medical Directory entry above) and neither were visibly called ‘Mentmore’ still, or any other name, although some other houses in the street did have names carved into them.]
1901: ‘CROMPTON, ERNEST, Victoria, Brit. Colum-bia, Canada – M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. Lond. 1889.’ Reference: The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1901. [Note: this was his last Canadian entry in the Medical Directory, but it is marked with a *, indicating that he had not returned his 1901 circular, so he could have been in Newmarket, just not having updated his entry yet – perhaps that’s why it wasn’t returned, having been sent to Canada when he was now in Newmarket? His 1900 entry is identical to this, except without the *.], [Note also, see his 1901 Medical Register entry below, which shows he was in Newmarket when that was complied, likely in late 1900.]
1901: ‘CROMPTON, Ernest’… ‘Newmarket, Suffolk.’ Reference: The Medical Register. London: General Medical Council; 1901.
1901, 31st March / 1st April: Ernest Crompton born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, aged 39, ‘Physician + Surgeon’, together with his wife Margaret, aged 30, born in Canada, and a housemaid, living at Mentmore House, High St, Newmarket St Mary’s parish. Reference: The National Archives, 1901 census. [Note: see the page on Ernest Crompton for an image.]
1902, 4th July 1902: ‘MONDAY NEXT. NEWMARKET, SUFFOLK. Sale of Valuable Freehold Family Residence, Known as “MENTMORE HOUSE,” Of imposing elevation and well situate in the High Street of Newmarket, within easy distance of the Jockey Club Rooms and New Railway Station. The HOUSE contains Four Reception Rooms, Servants’ Hall, good Domestic Offices, and Nine Bedrooms; there is also a Small Garden, Large Yard, and STABLING FOR FOUR HORSES, With Coachhouse, Harness Room, Loft, &c., as now in the occupation of Mr E. Crompton, at an ANNUAL RENTAL OF £150.’ Reference: Cambridge Daily News. Friday Jul 4 1902: 2.
1904: ‘Crompton Ernest M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P.Lond. physician & surgeon, Kingston house’ listed in Newmarket. Reference: Kelly’s directory of Cambridgeshire… . London: Kelly’s Directories Ltd.; 1904, pg 189. [Note: Fyson Ernest Last, Gray Clement Frederick, Maund John Hansby, Molineux Bernard N., and Woollett Sidney Winslow are listed separately.]
1909, 21st April: ‘WANTED. Cook-General. housemaid kept: good character indispensable: no family.– Mrs. Crompton, Kingston House, Newmarket.’ Reference: East Anglian Daily Times. Wednesday Apr 21 1909: 8.
1911, 2nd/3rd April: Ernest Crompton, born in Gloucestershire, aged 49, ‘Physician + Surgeon’, together with his wife Margaret, aged 41, born in Nova Scotia, Canada, and two servants, living at Rutland House, High St, Newmarket St Mary’s parish. Reference: The National Archives, 1911 census. [Note: see the page on Ernest Crompton for an image of Rutland House.]
1920, 16th June: Planning application to the Newmarket Urban District Council regarding the addition of a garage to Rutland House for Dr. E. Crompton, surgeon. Reference: EF506/6/1/17/564, (Suffolk County Record Office, Bury St Edmunds). [Note: this shows very nicely the position of Rutland House, two properties down from the Waggon & Horses, with Primrose House in between, separated by a passage way, and the layout of Rutland House at that time.]
1922, 23rd May: ‘A letter was read from Messrs Rustons & Lloyd on behalf of Dr E. Crompton resigning his appointment as Medical Officer of the Workhouse as from 30th June next when it was resolved that such resign-ation be accepted and that the clerk write to Dr Crompton and express the regret of the Guardians at his continued ill health and the hope that he will soon recover.’ Reference: 611/45, Newmarket Union minutes, (Suffolk County Record Office, Bury St Edmunds). [Note: John Hansby Maund was the only applicant for the post and was unanimously appointed on 20th June – in ref. 611/45.], [Note also, Rustons & Lloyd are solicitors even today, whose premises coincides with one of Walter Norton’s properties in 1821.]
1922, 15th August: ‘An application was received from Dr Crompton who has recently resigned his appointment as Medical Officer of the Institution asking for a superannuation allowance and enclosing a Medical Certificate of in ability to continue his practice when it was resolved that the same be referred to the Finance Committee’. Reference: 611/45, Newmarket Union minutes, (Suffolk County Record Office, Bury St Edmunds). [Note: a subsequent minute on 27th February 1923 records that ‘The committee considered Dr Crompton’s application’ and ‘Medical Certificate of permanent dis-ability’ when it was realised that he had only completed 9 ½ years service, which was not enough to grant a pension, so they proposed adding a year, which was subsequently agreed by the Ministry of Health and recorded in the 17th July minutes – in ref 611/45.], [Note also, ‘the Institution’ was a term for the workhouse in use by this time.]
1925: ‘CROMPTON, Ernest, The Old Dutch House, Topsham, S. Devon – M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P. Lond. 1899.’ Reference: The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1925. [Note: his entry is the same posthumously in 1926, which was his last appearance in the Medical Directory.]
1925, 16th November: Under the headings ‘Topsham’s Loss.’ and the ‘DEATH OF DR. CROMPTON’ the following was reported, ‘Deep regret was expressed at Topsham yesterday when it became known that Dr. Ernest Crompton… had passed away… a son of a former Exeter solicitor… had been for many years in prac-tice at Newmarket. Indifferent health brought about his retirement, and nearly two years ago he purchased Dutch House…’ Reference: The Devon and Exeter Gazette. Tuesday Nov 17 1925: 7. [Note: see the page on Ernest Crompton for more details.]
Newmarket Union Minutes 1840-1925. Reference: 611/13-46, (Suffolk County Record Office, Bury St Edmunds). [Note: see the pages on Frederick Page, George Bor(th)wick Mead and Ernest Crompton for more references from here than mentioned above.]
Shops History Newmarket. http://www.newmarketshops.info/index.html. [Note: newmarketshops.info has been supplied with information regarding the medical history of Newmarket by the author of talkingdust.net since August 2013 (see footnotes on some of the pages). Both websites continue to be developed, and in this sense are mutually symbiotic.]
Suffolk Medical Biographies. http://www.suffolkmedicalbiographies.co.uk (originally accessed pre October 2013). [Note: see the pages on Frederick Page, George Bor(th)wick Mead, George Owen Mead and Ernest Crompton for more comments regarding this webiste.]
The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1847-1927. [Note: this publication has been known by various titles over the years. Initially it just covered London, but from 1847 it had a wider remit, being variously known as the London and Provincial Medical Directory, The Medical Directories, The Medical Directory, etc., essentially the same work with minor variations and developments. It is usually referred to as The Medical Directory (as opposed to The Medical Register), so that is how it’s consistently referred to on talkingdust.net.]
Note: For published material referenced on this website see the ‘Acknowledgements for resources of published material’ section on the ‘Usage &c.’ page. The sources used for original unpublished documents are noted after each individual reference. Any census records are referenced directly to The National Archives, since images of these are so ubiquitous on microfilm and as digital images that they almost function like published works. Census records are covered by the ‘Open Government Licence’ as should be other such public records (see the ‘Copyright and related issues’ section on the ‘Usage &c.’ page for which references constitute public records, and any other copyright issues more generally such as fair dealing/use etc.).