In the early 20th century Grosvenor House was the home and surgery of John Hansby Maund, one of the predecessors of Orchard House surgery (see The Orchard House Practice chain). The house no longer exists (see image on the right), but it stood where the right hand side of the entrance to the Jockey Club is now. The house in the background was where the entrance to the Post Office is today, which earlier had been Richard Faircloth’s surgery – see the page on Richard Faircloth for a later picture of that building with remnants of the demolished Grosvenor House visible on the side.
In the 19th century Grosvenor House had been the home of the Payne family, who were plumbers, and a daughter who was a school mistress. She ran the house as a school for a while before retiring, after which she remained in the house. They were neighbours to Richard Faircloth and his successors John Rowland Wright and Walter Hutchinson.
Wright and Hutchison were initially partners in practice, but diverged about 1883/4, Walter Hutchinson continuing to practice from Richard Faircloth’s old house (see The Oakfield practice chain for details). John Wright later practised from Rous Villa, but his successor, John Hansby Maund, moved the Orchard House branch into Grosvenor House some time between 1906 and 1908. This was well after Walter Hutchinson had moved his practice further up the High Street to Cardigan Lodge, in fact even after he’d been succeeded there by Sidney Winslow Woollett, so the two related chains were never actual neighbours.
The entrance to the Jockey Club (visible in the foreground in the picture above) was not re-developed until 1933/4, so it seems likely that someone else lived in Grosvenor House after it ceased to be a surgery for a few years before the building was demolished.
Image 1: From Peter Norman’s Collection (cropped – red annotations mine); image reproduced with kind permission of Peter Norman. [Note: we have not been able to access the back of this old postcard to ascertain the original publisher, but using the image here seems likely acceptable, especially given the card’s age. Please make contact using the details via the footer below if you know more, for example if further acknowledgements etc. are required.]
Note: see comments regarding images and copyright © etc. on the Usage &c. page as well.
1841, 6th June: Solomon Payne, a 45 year old Plumber, his wife Elizabeth who was the same age, and family (including Frances aged 20 – see below) can be seen in Newmarket High Street in what must be Grosvenor House, with Richard Faircloth to the immediate west and Albertus Pars, keeper of the Jockey Club rooms, to the east. Reference: The National Archives, 1841 census. [Note: see the page on Richard Faircloth for more details on him.]
1851, 30th/31st March: Solomon Payne the Plumber (age unclear – looks like 58? – but compare with 1841 above), his wife Elizabeth the same age (see 1861 below also, so their ages could be argued either way), and family (including Frances aged 31 – see above & below) in what must be Grosvenor House, with Richard Faircloth to the immediate west and the occupants of the residence to the east a little unclear. Reference: The National Archives, 1851 census. [Note: see the page on Richard Faircloth for more details on him.]
1861, 7/8th April: Elizabeth Payne, a 68 year old ‘retired plumber’ and household (including Frances aged 41 ‘School Mistress’ – see above & below) in Newmarket High Street in what must be Grosvenor House, with Richard Faircloth to the immediate west (and the named Willoughby House the next residence west from that). The occupants of the residence to the east were John White (occupation unclear) and household. Reference: The National Archives, 1861 census. [Note: see the page on Richard Faircloth for more details on him – and Walter Norton for a little on Willoughby House.]
1871, 2nd/3rd April: Frances Payne, aged 51, ‘Principal of a school’ with teachers, scholars etc. can be seen in Newmarket High Street in what must be Grosvenor House, with Richard Faircloth to the immediate west and George Pace in ‘The Rooms’ to the east. Reference: The National Archives, 1871 census. [Note: see the page on Richard Faircloth for more details on him.]
1881, 3rd/4th April: Frances Payne, aged 61, ‘annuitant’ can be seen in Newmarket High Street in what must be Grosvenor House, with John R. Wright (Richard Faircloth’s successor) to the immediate west, with Walter Hutchinson in his household (and the named Willoughby House the next residence west from that). George Pace was in the ‘Jockey Club Rooms’ to the east. Reference: The National Archives, 1881 census. [Note: see the pages on Richard Faircloth, John Rowland Wright, Walter Hutchinson and the Oakfield and Orchard House practice chains for more details on them.]
1891, 5th/6th April: France Payne, aged 71, ‘Living on own means’ shown in the named Grosvenor House, with Walter Hutchinson to the immediate west (followed by Willoughby House the next named residence west from that, headed by Harriet Dawson – see 1901 below). To the east are shown the ‘Jockey Club Rooms’. Reference: The National Archives, 1891 census. [Note: see the page on Walter Hutchinson for more details on him.], [Note also, by this stage John Wright was in Rous Villa – see the pages on John Wright, Rous Villa and The Orchard House practice chain for more details.]
1901, 31st March / 1st April: On the 1901 census Grosvenor House is not named, but immediately to the west of the Jockey Club was Sarah Bailey, a 50 year old housekeeper, the next house along (presumably Richard Faircloth’s old house) was occupied by a gardener described as a worker (by this stage Walter Hutchinson and family were further west along the High Street in Cardigan Lodge – see the pages on Walter Hutchinson and Cardigan Lodge for details). The next house west from the gardener was headed by Harriet Dawson, Walter Hutchinson’s neighbour in 1891 (see 1891 above) so it does appear that Sarah Bailey was in Grosvenor House, looking after it, with the gardener perhaps doing the same in the surgery next door. Reference: The National Archives, 1901 census.
1906: ‘MAUND, J. H., Brackley House, Newmarket’ listed as a subscriber. Reference: Garrod AE, McAdam Eccles W. Saint Bartholomew’s Hospital Reports. London: Smith, Elder, & Co,; 1906 (Vol XLI), pg xxi.
1908: ‘Maund John Hansby L.R.C.P.Lond. M.R.C.S.Eng. phy-sician & surgeon, & certifying factory surgeon & medi-cal officer of health to the Urban District Council, Grosvenor house’ listed in the Newmarket commercial section of Kelly’s Directory, and ‘Maund John Hansby, Grosvenor ho’ in the private residents section. Reference: Kelly’s directory of the counties of Cambridge, Norfolk and Suffolk (with coloured maps.) 1908. London: Kelly’s Directories Ltd.; 1908, pgs 185-192 Newmarket section. [Note: Crompton Ernest (Kingston house), Fyson Ernest Last (Cheveley house), Gray Clement Frederick (Lushington house), and Woollett Sidney Winslow (Cardigan lodge) are listed separately.]
1910: ‘MAUND, JOHN HANSBY, Grosvenor House, New-market, Cambs (Tel.14) -M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P.Lond.1890; D.P.H.Cantab.1909; (St. Bart.); Surg. Rous Memor. Hosp.; M.O.H.Newmarket U.Dist.; Certif.Fact.Surg.; Mem.Camb.Med.Soc.; late Sen.Ho.Surg.St.Bart.Hosp. Contrib. “Two Cases of Submaxillary Cellulitis,”Lancet, 1891.’ Reference: The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1910. [Note: this was the first year that he gave a specific address in Newmarket in the Medical Directory, having mentioned the town since 1894 – see the page on John Hansby Maund for details.], [Note also, he remained in Grosvenor House until some time between 1922 and 1926, but his address didn’t change in the Directory until 1928 – see below.]
1910: ‘MAUND, John Hansby… Grosvenor house, Newmarket, Cambs.’ Reference: The Medical Register. London: General Medical Council; 1894. [Note: this was the first year that he gave Grosvenor House as his address in the Medical Register – it recording Brackley House beforehand, clearly lagging behind in view of the 1908 reference above], [Note also, his address changed to Heath Cottage in the Medical Register in 1929, so lagging behind the Medical Directory by one year – see 1928 below.]
1911, 2nd/3rd April: John Hansby Maund (Dr Maund), born in Llanelly, Breconshire, aged 47, ‘medical profession’, with his wife Clare Antonia Maund, aged 45, born in Port of Spain, Trinidad, West Indies (British Subject), two daughters born in Newmarket (Ruth aged 8 and Gwynith aged 6), and a servant, living in Grosvenor House, High Street, Newmarket. Reference: The National Archives, 1911 census. [Note: his two sons, John Anthony Hansby Maund, aged 12, and Francis Edward Hansby Maund, aged 10, can be seen as boarders at a school in Seaford, Sussex.]
1920, 17th August: A letter from Dr Maund, from Grosvenor House, regarding a patient who had been under his ‘care for some years’ with a stiff wrist from an old fracture and other issues. Reference: 611/44, Newmarket Union minutes, (Suffolk County Record Office, Bury St Edmunds).
1922: ‘Maund John Hansby L.R.C.P.Lond. M.R.C.S.Eng. D.P.H.Cantab. surgeon, & certifying factory surgeon & medical officer of health to the Urban District Council & medical officer & public vaccinator No. 1 district of Newmarket union, Grosvenor house, High st’ listed in Newmarket Commercial section of Kelly’s Directory, and ‘Maund John Hansby, Grosvenor ho. High street’ in the private residents section. Reference: Kelly’s directory of the counties of Cambridge, Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex… London: Kelly’s Directories Ltd.; 1922, pgs 190-197 Newmarket section. [Note: the three Grays in Lushington House (proto-Rookery), and Sidney Winslow Woollett in Cardigan Lodge (proto-Oakfield) are listed separately, as are Ernest Crompton in Rutland House who retired that year, and Gibson & Palmer.]
1926: ‘Maund, Dr. J. H., Heath Cottage’ listed under Severals Cottages, Bury Road, Newmarket. Reference: Telephone, Street and commercial Directory of Newmarket. Bury St Edmund’s: F.G. Pawsey & Co. Ltd.; 1926, pg 34. [Note: he is also on pg 18 in the alphabetical list of names as phone number Newmarket 14 ‘Maund, J. H., Surgeon, Heath Cottage.]
1928: ‘MAUND, John Hansby, Heath Cottage, Newmarket, Cambs (Tel.14) – M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. Lond. 1890; D.P.H.Cantab. 1909; (St. Bart.); Surg. Rous Memor. Hosp.; M.O.H. Newmarket U. Dist.; Med. Off. & Pub. Vacc. No.1 Dist. Newmarket Union; Med. Off. New-market Infirm.; Certif. Fact. Surg.; Mem.Camb.Med.Soc.; late Sen.Ho.Surg.St.Bart.Hosp. Author, “Two Cases of Submaxillary Cellulitis,” Lancet, 1891.’ Reference: The Medical Directory. London: Churchill; 1928. [Note: this was the first year that he gave Heath Cottage as his address in the Medical Directory, but note the 1926 Newmarket Street Directory above.], [Note also, his Medical Register entry did not change to Heath Cottage until 1929.]
Shops History Newmarket. http://www.newmarketshops.info/index.html. [Note: newmarketshops.info has been supplied with information regarding the medical history of Newmarket by the author of talkingdust.net since August 2013 (see footnotes on some of the pages). Both websites continue to be developed, and in this sense are mutually symbiotic.]
The Medical Directory. London: Churchill. [Note: this publication has been known by various titles over the years. Initially it just covered London, but from 1847 it had a wider remit, being variously known as the London and Provincial Medical Directory, The Medical Directories, The Medical Directory, etc., essentially the same work with minor variations and developments. It is usually referred to as The Medical Directory (as opposed to The Medical Register), so that is how it’s consistently referred to on talkingdust.net.]
The Medical Register. London: General Medical Council.
Note: For published material referenced on this website see the ‘Acknowledgements for resources of published material’ section on the ‘Usage &c.’ page. The sources used for original unpublished documents are noted after each individual reference. Any census records are referenced directly to The National Archives, since images of these are so ubiquitous on microfilm and as digital images that they almost function like published works. Census records are covered by the ‘Open Government Licence’ as should be other such public records (see the ‘Copyright and related issues’ section on the ‘Usage &c.’ page for which references constitute public records, and any other copyright issues more generally such as fair dealing/use etc.).